The total cost naturally depends on the size of the project and the client's budget, but below is a rough guide to the start up costs:
- Initial consultation is complimentary (subject to re-imbursement of travelling costs for distances greater than 25 miles from our offices)
- Site surveys start at £200
- Concept Designs start at £450
- For a complete design and build project, design and supervision fees typically will be in the range of 10 - 15% of the final build costs (following the Society of Garden Designers guidelines).
- If the project is not covered by a percentage fee then master plan, planting plan, structural drawings, revisions etc. would be charged on the basis of an hourly rate plus expenses.
Gardens as Investment
There have been many economic studies on the increase of value a well-designed garden adds to your property. These range from up to 10% (The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) and up to 17% (Propertyfinder.com), whilst studies show that communal gardens can add even more value than private ones (University of Pennsylvania). Studies also indicate that a designed garden may be a far better investment than improving a bathroom or kitchen: whilst indoor improvements inevitably fade, a garden becomes more established and successful over a longer period of time.